The following are committees approved the 2017-2018 regime.
- Archives and Records
- Economic Development
- Internal Audit
- Membership Outreach
- Photography And Media
- Urhobo Center Fund Raising
- Urhobo Language
- Website Development/ Information Technology
- Women Affairs
- Young Adult Integration
(JAN. 2017 – DEC. 2018)
The committees listed below are responsible for planning, coordinating and/or executing the tasks listed under them.
- Responsible for the day-to-day administration of the Association to ensure the efficient operations and effective coordination and executions of the overall programs of the Association,
- Work with the Fund Raising Committee to raise funds for the acquisition of a facility for the Urhobo Center.
ARCHIVES AND RECORDS COMMITTEE
- Retrieve and gather all UPA data and information from various UPA Officers,
- Sort, and arrange collected data and information to create well-ordered and organized records,
- Produce electronic copies of all data and information, if possible,
- Use simple software’s to create various databases from the available data and information,
- Establish a repository where electronic and hard copies of record can easily be retrieved and accessed,
- Educate members on task of the committee.
- Teach UPA children (Pre-K – 5th Grade) Urhobo language, songs and dance,
- Teach UPA children (Pre-K – 5th Grade) how to help their parents at home,
- Tell Urhobo stories to the children (Pre-K – 5th Grade),
- Create environments for the children (Pre-K – 5th Grade) to excel in their respective schools,
- Take the children on field trip to amusement parks or places, restaurants and theatres,
- To liaise with the Urhobo language Committee.
- To promote Urhobo culture, traditions and food
- To assist the Children’s Committee in the teachings of Urhobo language, culture and traditions,
- To assist the Youth Committee in the teachings of Urhobo language, culture and traditions,
- To educate members on Urhobo language, culture, and traditions.
ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT COMMITTEE
- To research, educate, and advice the association on any economic undertakings that may be suggested by members,
- To research, educate and advice the association on the most economic way to build an Urhobo Center,
- To work with other related committees, like the Urhobo Center Fundraising committee on the raising of funds for the association,
- To urgently research and recommend if UPA can financially sustain a temporary venue for our monthly meetings and for our educational and socio-cultural activities.
- To establish guidelines for dispute resolutions,
- To ensure continued compliance of members with UPA Code of Ethics (Conduct),
- To resolve disputes between UPA and its members and/or between members.
- To ensure that dues and levies are effectively collected at/or after meeting,
- Will be responsible for any and extra monetary collection arising from sales,
- To ensure that financial record are properly kept and managed,
- To liaise between finance and treasury in reconciliation of financial information and payment receipts and other financial records.
- To educate members on the importance of regular exercise,
- To educate members on the importance of good eating habits,
- To plan and coordinate the exercise program of the Association.
INTERNAL AUDIT COMMITTEE
- To perform an internal audit and report on the financial activities of the UPA,
- To educate the Financial Secretary and Treasurer of UPA bookkeeping practices,
- To review the financial transactions of UPA on a monthly basis to ensure proper postings to members’ accounts,
- To audit and report on the financial transactions of UPA each quarter,
- To evaluate all programs of UPA if they achieve their intended objectives.
- To establish programs to seek and attract Urhobo sons and daughters that relocate to the Houston Metropolitan area,
- To screen potential members and orient them on UPA Code of Ethics (Conduct) prior to recommendation for admission(s),
- To recommend potential new members for admission into the Association,
- To work with the Members’ Outreach Committee in meeting the basic needs of members, especially new members.
MEMBERS’ OUTREACH COMMITTEE
- To establish programs to retain existing members,
- To call and/or visit absent members and potential members,
- To assign members to visit and/or call absent members at each month,
- To work with the Membership Committee in meeting the basic needs of members.
PHOTOGRAPHY AND MEDIA COMMITTEE
- To undertake photograph coverage at any UPA event,
- To keep a well labeled and annotated photograph albums,
- To research and implement other related activity,
- To submit pictures and other items to Website committee for posting.
- To advise UPA on political and policy issues of Nigeria and the U.S. from time to time and their implications on the Urhobo people,
- To establish friendly relationship with all known ethnic associations of Delta State of Nigeria (in particular) and of Nigeria (in general) in the Houston locality,
- To establish a good political relationship with federal, state, counties and local governments and their representatives in the State of Texas and in Delta State of Nigeria for the benefits of the Association and its members,
- To encourage members to register and vote in both Nigeria and US elections.
- To evaluate the seminar needs of the Association,
- To plan and coordinate all In-House seminars of the Association each quarter.
- To evaluate and recommend to the Association social programs that will benefit the Association and its members,
- To plan and coordinate the Association’s visits to its members,
- To plan and coordinate the Association’s visits to other entities,
- To plan and coordinate the Association’s annual celebration(s),
- To plan and coordinate the Association’s summer beach activities,
- To plan and coordinate other social activities the Association wishes to undertake from time to time.
URHOBO CENTER FUND RAISING COMMITTEE
- To identify, plan and organize fund raising activities from UPA members for the acquisition of a facility for the Urhobo Center, and, thereafter, for other ventures,
- To identify, plan and organize fund raising activities on behalf of UPA for the acquisition of a facility for the Urhobo Center,
- To identify, plan and organize fund raising activities from the public (individuals and corporations) for the acquisition of a facility for the Urhobo Center using 501(c)(3) status.
URHOBO LANGUAGE COMMITTEE
- To plan and coordinate Urhobo Language classes to children, youths and interested adults of UPA on every 1st Sunday of the month from 4.30 pm to 5.30 pm,
- To research, evaluate and acquire instructional materials necessary for teaching and learning of the Urhobo Language.
WEBSITE DEVELOPMENT AND MAINTENANCE COMMITTEE
- To develop a website for UPA,
- To maintain (after development) UPA website from time to time,
- To educate members on access to UPA website,
- To develop policies and procedures for UPA information technology system.
WOMEN’S AFFAIRS COMMITTEE
- To plan and coordinate UPA adult cultural dance group,
- To assess the needs of UPA ladies and design programs to fulfill said needs,
- To evaluate and educate UPA ladies on matters of importance to them, including marital relations with their spouses,
- To educate UPA men and women on better relations and communication with their spouses, whether or not said spouse is a member.
YOUNG ADULT INTEGRATION COMMITTEE
- To ensure that members of UPAYA transit successfully from the youth wing to the Parent Association (UPA),
- To create an awareness and consciousness of our rich cultural heritage to the young adults,
- To teach, organize lectures/seminars on the Urhobo culture, in areas where the young adults have knowledge deficit, or wish to improve on speaking the Urhobo Language, welcoming and entertaining visitors, presentation and acceptance of kola nuts and drinks, and the ways we present and comport ourselves in public, which includes donning our colorful wrappers and tops, headgears, hats and walking sticks,
- To serve as a bridge between UPA and the Young Adults. It communicates intents and expectations of UPA to the Group, while also taking feedback from the Group to UPA.
- To evaluate existing youth activities and improve on them,
- To educate UPA Youth on Urhobo culture, traditions, history and geography,
- To seek the assistance of any UPA member and/or Committee on the traditional and cultural education of UPA Youth,
- To create environments for UPA Youth to excel in their respective schools,
- To educate UPA Youth on the need for tribal relations with other tribes in Delta State of Nigeria,
- To develop a database of UPA Youth,
- To network UPA Youth with other Urhobo association’s youth in the U.S.
In addition to the tasks listed above , all committees will undertake other tasks as may be assigned to them by the association.